Sunday, July 20, 2008

North Carolina ~ Part I

Addison loved the beach...the car rides there and back, not so much.

Andy and I got so desperate for her to stop shrieking on our way down to Oak Island (somewhere around hour six in the car) that we dug a pacifier out of the diaper bag. Yes, I still had one in the diaper bag as my own peace of mind, even though she hadn't had a pacifier since April. Yes, I am an enabler.

When she first got her hands on it, she caressed it gently, went completely silent, smiled and her eyes twinkled and danced (I swear, they danced).

Andy said she looked just like me when I decided to have a cigarette for the first time after quitting for three years. Sad analogy, and sadly true.

Anyway, she popped it in her mouth for about a minute....I think she has forgotten how to use a pacifier, and soon it was on the Tucson's floor with all the other toys she had tossed in utter, exasperated disgust. After a few more minutes of shrieking and crying she drifted off to sleep and so did I. When we woke up Andy was pulling off the highway to check into a hotel ~ In Chapel Hill 3 1/2 hours from Oak Island.


We were on the beach Saturday by 12 p.m....and the shrieking was soon forgotten.

1 comment:

Sue said...

I am SO glad you are back! I had the most BORING week of web surfing. Actually, thank goodness for Tool's Aunt Karen and Christin, so I had somewhere to comment. Welcome back!