Saturday, May 23, 2009

Hello Summer

I wait all year for summer to arrive, and I swear, two days in I say to my self: "I can't wait for Fall to arrive."

It's a pathetic cycle of chasing sunshine and warmth, and then remembering that I don't like to sweat or squint. I don't like the stickiness of sunblock, I loathe being unable to sleep in the oppressive heat, and I hate the chilly, iciness of air conditioning.

Nonetheless, it appears that summer has pretty much arrived in the land of 'Nati.

In Chicago the arrival of summer was always marked with trips to O'Donovan's beer garden - slushie lemonades, yum. Or nights at Resi's beer garden - Hoegaarden, yum. Or wandering to the beer gardens of The Long Room or Village Tap or Montrose Saloon. Or beers at Riverview, or martinis at Bowmans or reuben rolls at Brownstone - YUM YUM YUM.

We haven't found that niche here yet, but we have discovered the beauty of margaritas on the patio. I'm not talking about wussy premixed Cuervo in a bottle margaritas. I am talking fresh limes, tequila and triple sec...and to avoid a horrific headache, a splash of beer and a splash of 7-UP (like those make all the difference).

Rock glasses rimmed with salt. The sun setting. Meat on the grill. Addie giggling and playing in the yard.
Ahhh, for right now, welcome summer. Please don't make me long for fall.



Too young to learn the beauty of a well-made margarita?
I think not.


**Her face is the color of mine after a few margaritas, or a few martinis, or too many glasses of wine, or a good work out. Poor kid got the Irish skin. For the record, she didn't have any of the above beverages. She simply had a wrestling/tickling match with her Daddy.

I think she won.

2 comments:

Mich said...

That girl and her limes and lemons crack me up! She is going to be a margarita drinker for sure.

Kathy said...

Oh, how she's changed since I was there. Can't wait to get my hands on her!