Thursday, June 30, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mom

This Thursday I am thankful for:




Having been taught to do things for myself and not expect someone else to do for me.


Being told I'll always love you, but I don't always like you. At the time I thought it was mean, now I know it was heartfelt and true.


Creative lying (Eat the crust, it gives you curly hair or The animals on the side of the road are just napping) - not only did it make my childhood more colorful, but makes parenting slightly easier.


Knowing the difference between wants and needs and understanding that needing always trumps wanting.


Daily phone calls just to check in and chat.


Knowing how to iron, cook, paint, drill and garden.


Understanding the importance of the quick once over when it comes to cleaning my house.
The joy of coming home to a clean house after a restful vacation.


Patience and humor, even if at times I am short on both.




Stamina - without knowing how to just keep going nothing would ever get accomplished in my life.


Understanding that it's okay to ask for and accept help.


Laughter and silliness, insight and understanding, truth-telling and hand-holding.


My wonderful, vivacious, gentle, silly mother - who taught everything I know. This list barely scratches the surface of what she has taught me and I know there is so much more to learn.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Ohhhh dear!!!! Tears on my birthday!!! Thank you, sweetie! Ohhhh, more tears!

Sue said...

Is it dusty in here? So sweet.