"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." -Yogi Berra
So far, since turning 32, I've been mistaken for the mother of an eighteen year old, thought about a diet, complained endless about the size of my butt, eaten a bunch of junk food, ignored the mess that is my house and laid on the couch.
I've got to get in gear.
I've decided that instead of New Year's Resolutions, I am going to make Birthday Resolutions - 32 things that I will do, change, attempt, embrace before my 33rd birthday. Silly? Yes. But I am a list maker, and lists make me happy, and for heaven's sake, I've got to do something about this life I'm living.
- I will lose 10 pounds, permanently. My jeans will be comfortable and I will be nicer because of it.
- I will learn how to cook and season fish. And then I will cook it and eat it and feel holier-than-thou.
- I will run five 5ks, and I won't complain about them over and over and over and over.
- I will pick a freaking paint color for my bedroom and paint it. And I won't regret it. I will be committed to my color.
- I will stick to a consistent work out routine. That should be spelt out - I will work out three times a week, even when I don't freaking feel like it. Even when it's cold outside. Even when Bravo is running a West Wing marathon.
- I will eat healthier. Translation: I will not live only off coffee and snacks. Fast food? I love you, but I can only see you once a week from now on. Wine? You are my bestest friend, but my liver hates you...we need to slow down.
- I will learn how to properly fold a fitted bed sheet - right now I basically wad them into balls and shove them in the linen closet. That's my dirty little secret, and now you know it.
- I will make and keep all doctor and dentist appointments. We pay for insurance for a reason. I will even get my eyes checked (how's that for kicking it up a notch??)
- I will mop my kitchen floor at least once a week. It will make me miserable and annoyed, and I reserve the right to bitch about it, but I'll do it.
- I will read more books that don't include animal sounds and learning how to count. I love animals and counting is okay, but my brain is going mushy.
- I will (just to make my mom happy) become a better flosser.
- I will make and stick to a budget. This will be much harder done than said. I love Target, coffee shops and book stores...
- I will complete Addison's year two scrap book.
- I will start Addison's year three scrap book.
- I will figure out a way to stay more organized. Pointers? Tips? Ideas?
- I will get Addie and I on a schedule - less TV and shopping, more classes and fun. We will play outside. We will go to story time. We will be well-rounded.
- I will clip coupons and use them. Which means maybe I should get a Sunday paper subscription...oooh, now I can clip coupons and do the Sunday crossword. Bonus.
- I will go on a childless date with my husband at least once a month. We will go the movies, to dinner, to plays, to concerts, to sporting events. We will have uninterrupted conversations. It will be glorious.
- I will fold laundry and put it away. Weekly.
- I will remember birthdays and send cards via snail mail.
- I will return phone calls even when I don't feel like it. And I will sit down and listen, even when I don't feel like it.
- I will eat breakfast with my daughter at least twice a week (that is a pathetic but necessary goal).
- I will cook dinner, cook not heat up or reheat, three times a week. Let's be honest, three times is even a lofty goal.
- I will take a photography class. I will damn it. I WILL.
- I will frame some of my photos and put them on the darn wall. Then I will stop complaining about said wall.
- I will go out for at least one really good steak dinner and not even think about the size of the bill. Or how tight my pants will be.
- I will keep my yard looking good - mulching, mowing, weeding, pruning, planting. I will do it all and I will pretend to enjoy it. And eventually I will enjoy it and I'll be good at it and it will be pretty.
- I will go somewhere I've never been - Memphis? Nashville? Oregon? Delaware? And I will go there not for a wedding or shower or an obligation. I will go there for fun and because I want to.
- I will plan and participate in a girls weekend - sans kiddo, sans husband, full of laughter. And martinis. Lots of martinis.
Okay, that's all the brain power I have. I mean seriously, how much self-improvement can one person do??
Numbers 30, 31, and 32 are on the table for discussion. Thoughts? Ideas?
Be gentle, you know I am fragile.