Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Oy vey. What is going on?
I KNOW!

It's been a crazy week. Okay, honestly, it's been a crazy month. Crazy full of visitors, crazy full of fun, crazy full of almost-three-years-old drama.

But that's not what this post is about. This quickie is about:
OY VEY!
I know.
I am becoming my mother - again.

When I was younger, and by younger I totally mean through freshman year of college, my mother would bribe me to behave at the A&P or Stop & Shop (holla, East Coast groceries) with food.
I remember always being offered a Slim Jim (don't even get me started on how much I LOVE Slim Jims) while cruising the aisles of the A&P in our neighborhood. At Stop & Shop I was kept in line with slices of Land O'Lakes white American cheese. Yes, it was that specific. Don't try to slip me an off brand of American cheese and don't even think about it being yellow. Ick.
Grapes were slipped out of the bag, strawberries were sampled, goldfishies were gobbled.

I always thought she did that to keep me behaving. And that may have been part of why mom served appetizers as we shopped, but it definitely wasn't the whole reason.
I am beginning to suspect it was mostly to shush me.
To not answer WHY! 79 times an hour.
To not hear my running list of things that I wanted or, better yet, needed.
To be able to simply read her shopping list without being interrupted over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

This dawned on me today as I stood at the deli counter at Meijer trying to skim my grocery list - and handing out slice after slice of ham and cheese.

Land O'Lakes White American Cheese, of course.





*
*If the second picture doesn't make you laugh, you are dead inside. I'm just sayin'.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

ONE MORE TIME....like mother, like daughter!