Tuesday, June 24, 2008

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

A few weeks ago I bought the book Daddy's Girl by Garrison Keillor. It's cute and rhythmic and every once and a while Addison will sit still through the whole book. One of the stories in the book celebrates a baby's love of bananas and talks about all the foods that a baby will try, but says that bananas are always number one. Beftter than french fries or shepherd's pie? I think not, but I digress.

When I first started feeding bananas to Addie she wasn't quite sure about them. She spit out several spoonfuls of mushed bananas and gave me a look as if to say "What kind of fool do you take me for?". Nowadays, however, they are a staple and a celebrated favorite.

Before Addison came along I used to buy bananas because I felt like it was the healthy thing to do (kind of like how I buy milk consistently but drink it rarely). Usually the bananas I bought would rot and be thrown in the freezer for the distant day when I actually got around to making banana bread. Now I buy a bunch and they are always gone by the end of week. They get mixed with yogurt, with sweet potatoes, with avocados, with anything little missy might be weary of trying.

While my Dad was visiting two weeks ago he and Addison shared a banana each morning. By shared, I mean she would beg for his breakfast and he would give in and let her take sloppy little bites of his banana. I am pretty sure she ate an entire banana one of the mornings he was here.

This morning I was having my coffee and english muffin and had half a banana on my plate. My intention was too share with her, her intention was to devour the entire thing. She won. Addie sat on my lap and leaned in for bite after bite of the banana, eventually she got impatient at the process and grabbed the fruit right out of its peal and finished her early morning snack with out the hindering assistance of her mom.

By the end there was smushed banana on both hands, all over her face and smidgen in her hair...but she was super satisfied, and perhaps a bit proud.

Such a big girl feeding herself.






2 comments:

RenataB said...

Perhaps this "self-feeding" is the only way to get her to eat now? Prepare yourself for LOTS of laundry :)

Kate C. said...

When you change her diaper, do you sing the Gwen Stefani song "This shit is bananas - b.a.n.a.n.a.s." If you don't you should...