Monday, December 8, 2008

Thankful...

So, quite obviously, I have been on a little blogging hiatus. Most of you know that life has been crazy hectic. Shortly before Thanksgiving I found out that my dad was sick and undergoing surgery. I traveled to Chicago to be with him while he met with the surgeon and then traveled back last week to be close by during surgery. Happily, the surgery went well with no complications. Unhappily, we still don't know what the road ahead holds, as the pathology report has not yet been received.

This latest event has forced me to declare that 2008 is dead to me. I am officially breaking up with this crapass year and looking forward to a warm and supportive relationship with 2009.

With that being said there are many things that I am thankful for during this holiday season. While I may be late on my Thanksgiving thanks, there is still thanks to give.

I am thankful for:

1. The health of my daughter. Her laughter, spunky spirit, independence and curiosity.
2. The love of my husband. 2008 has been no picnic for him, but he still laughs and holds my hand and occasionally even puts the toilet seat down.
3. My house that is slowly becoming a home. It keeps me dry and warm and makes me feel settled and peaceful. I won't even go into how thankful I am for my attached garage.
4. My family, near and far, who love me and show me great kindness on a daily basis.
5. GG's gravy soaked carrots. So.freaking.good.
6. Patience. I have never had patience before and I am so thankful it has slowly entered my life (see item #1).
7. Loyal and amazing friends. I can never express how thankful I am for those people who have become like family to me...like it or not.
8. Our fireplace. I love our mantle. I love our hearth. Most of all I love when the fire is roaring, a glass of wine is poured and the house is quiet. I would say I love our fireplace tools, but sadly we don't have any of those.
9. Risotto. Silly I know, but I am so thankful that I have "mastered" making risotto. Shrimp risotto, asparagus risotto, edamame risotto...makes me and my tummy so happy.
10. I am thankful that I am remembering that there are things to be thankful for. It is so easy for me to wallow in self-pity, or look only at the glass as half full, that I am thankful that I am remembering that even through this awful year, there have been good things, even wonderful things occuring my life.
For those things, I truly am thankful.

The rest of it though.....enough already!

3 comments:

Sue said...

I am thankful for your blog. Not even kidding. So glad you're back!

Mich said...

I ditto Sue's comment....welcome back lady!

Kathy said...

Make that three of us....I missed you!